Super Easy Recipe - Minced Beef and Onion Prata Puff (Karipap Prata Daging Cincang dan Bawang - Resepi Mudah)
Last week, my mother called me to say that she and my younger sisters were coming to visit over the weekend. Since it was my mother's first time over at my house, I had wanted to cook something for her. However, she and my sisters had wanted to come at about 5 in the evening. They would have had their lunch by then but the timing was definitely perfect for tea time. What should I make then?
I had some minced meat in the freezer. Frozen mixed vegetables too. Should be good for some pie or puff but I am out of time and too lazy to make the dough from scratch. Then I saw my packet of instant prata. "Spring Home" brand. So far the best, the puffiest and most delicious instant prata I have ever had. This brand of instant prata stuck with me ever since I had the first bite. Yes!! Maybe, it would also make a good dough for the pastry of my puff!! At least, if it doesn't turn out nice, I am thick-skinned enough not to feel embarrassed in front of my mother and my mother loves me enough not to criticize my impulse gone wrong baking skills! So, what the heck?! Get on with it, I shall!
To my most pleasant surprise, it turned out to be the puffiest yet crispy and soft puff I have ever eaten. My mother and sisters were pleased and so were my hubby and mother-in-law. I am sure this instant prata dough would also be great for dessert puffs and pies. I shall attempt to make those one of these days.
I am therefore not going to waste any time and share this recipe with you.
The ingredients you would need:
500 grams of minced beef
1 brown onion - diced
1 red onion - diced
3 garlics - chopped
1 teaspoon - tomato puree
1 small packet of frozen mixed vegetables
1 packet of Spring Home instant prata (leave this packet in the freezer)
1 piece of Knorr beef cube - dissolved in a small bowl of water
2 teaspoon of white ground pepper (more or less depending on your preference)
1 spoon of plain flour
1 egg lightly beaten
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
1. First of all, pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees celsius.
1. Heat up just about 1 teaspoon of oil in pan and add minced beef and stir fry.
2. The minced beef will release fats and water so continue to stir fry until the fats and water are dried off.
3. Once the minced beef is dried, add in the diced onions and chopped garlics and continue to stir fry for about one to two minutes.
4. Add in the tomato puree.
5. Continue to stir fry until the onions are no longer opaque.
6. Add in the mix vegetables and stir for a minute. Add in the bowl of beef stock, sugar and salt and continue to stir every now and then for about five minutes.
7. Add in the spoon of flour. This will thicken the broth in the frying mince meat. Continue to stir until you no longer see any broth in the pan.
8. Add in pepper and stir for about another minute. Off the fire and your filling is ready.
9. Now, grease or spread butter on your baking tray.
10. Open the packet of instant prata in the freezer and take out one piece first. Take note of this process carefully. The instant prata thaws quite fast.
10. Place the minced beef filling on one side of the prata.
11. Once the instant prata dough is slightly thawed and soft enough, fold it into half like the picture above. Flip back one side of the plastic liner and press the edges of the dough so that they stick together and seal off the edges.
12. Take a fork and press on the edges of the dough to form patterns like the above picture. Don't worry if the sides are not equal or ugly as once the puff gets puffed up in the oven, all imperfections on the edges will disappear. Remove your ready made puff from plastic liner and place on your baking tray.
13. Poke the top of your prata puff with a fork to form holes like in the picture above. Glaze the egg mixture on your prata puff before putting them in the oven.
14. Bake your prata puff for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the top is browned.
Enjoy your bakery fresh minced beef and onion puff. Happy Kitchen-ing!!
Terima Kasih kerana sudi membaca dan ingin mencuba resepi di blog saya. Cubalah, memang sedap!
Enjoy your time here.
Thanks once again!
I have not tried doing that but I suppose you should be able to except that you don't need to glaze the egg mixture on the puffs.
Let me know the outcome if you did it ok?
Thanks for visiting my blog. Enjoy your time here.