Pomfret in Sauteed Coconut Cream (Bawal Lemak Tumis)
Yesterday, was my lazy day. Lazy to work, lazy to walk, lazy to this and lazy to that! Everything about me is just plain lazy. Thank God I am not lazy to cook though a little bit lazy in taking proper pictures of the dish that I cooked yesterday. By the way, this recipe was from my mother.
Naturally, if it was a lazy day , I would cook a lazy dish, even though I am not lazy at cooking! Haha...figure that out!! I am even lazy to think right now. Anyway, lazy dish would mean easy to prepare with very little time involved. I was in the office yesterday afternoon, when I called home and spoke to my Indonesian kitchen-ing assistant. I asked her to clean my cute little pomfrets, marinate them in turmeric powder and salt and fry them just the way I like it. Then, in the evening when I got home, I just "chop, chop, chop and tip top"!!
In a lazy and chop chop way, I shall now go straight to the ingredients:
6-10 pcs of fish of your choice - marinated with some turmeric powder and salt, fried and set aside (I used small cute pomfrets)
1 large onion - thinly sliced
3 stalks of red chillies - thinly sliced
4 shallots - thinly sliced
5 garlics - thinly sliced
3 cm ginger - thinly sliced into strips
2 sticks lemon grass - crushed
2 tomatoes - cut into fours
1 - 2 teacup(s) of coconut milk
1 teacup water
1 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
1. Heat up the pan with oil (preferably the oil used to fry the fish) and add in the finely sliced ingredients and lemon grass.
2. Saute for a few minutes until fragrant.
3. Saute for a little more until the onions are mushy or no longer opaque (transparent). Take a deep breath and inhale that fragrance all you want.
4. Add in the coconut milk and water and give a stir. Add in the sugar and salt to taste.
5. Bring the gravy to a boil and add in the tomatoes.
6. Bring fire down to medium and simmer for a minute or two.
Fold in the fried pomfrets into the gravy and simmer for about half to one minute. Off the fire and the dish is ready to be served.
Have a heavenly lazy time....happy kitchen-ing!!